Sunday, May 24, 2015

Training Recap 5/23/15

This is the first week in months I've done enough training to actually constitute "training."  I have been officially cleared to not wear the walking cast anymore and started on a strengthening routine for my peroneals.  I also started running in compression socks (post to follow), which has been really helpful for my ankle, although my legs get really hot in them and unless I wear shorts, I look a little silly in them.

I had made a short training schedule so that I'm somewhat on track to run a half marathon (4 weeks from today!).  With my work and other life commitments it's unrealistic for me to think I'm going to run 5 days a week, so I set a goal of running 3-4 days a week with a long weekend run and some strength training in between.

Sunday 5/17/15:
15 minute core workout; peroneal strengthening exercises, hip and thigh strengthening workout
Planned: Strength Training
Actual: Strength Training

Monday 5/18/15:
Short neighborhood run before work.  This was the first time post-injury that I felt like I could run for the entire workout.  My pace has slowed a lot, but I do feel my overall fitness coming back.  No ankle pain, but some swelling when I got home.
(not my photo)
Planned: 3 miles
Actual 3.1 miles

Tuesday 5/19/15 GO  WARRIORS:
I foam rolled and did absolutely nothing else but watch the Warriors kick ass.
Planned: Rest
Actual: Rest

Wednesday 5/20/15:
5 mile run along the bay.  There's a fantastic trail that runs right next to the water for quite a few miles and is completely flat compared to the normal hills that go through the city.  It was super windy but I felt the best I've felt on any run to date.  This was my first run with the compression socks, and I noticed a difference right away.  I had no ankle pain and no swelling at all.  Probably not necessary for shorter runs all the time.
Planned: 5 miles
Actual 5 miles

Thursday 5/21/15 GO  WARRIORS:
Planned: Rest
Actual: Rest

Friday 5/22/15:
This was the day I actually got the OK to stop wearing my walking cast (I know, I know).  I spent about 30 minutes doing some strengthening exercises for my ankle and then foam rolling.  I had some knee pain so I decided to hold off on a run.
Planned: 3 mile run OR strength training
Actual: Strength training.


There are some buried treasures in Oakland (not my photo).
Saturday 5/23/15:
I did a long hilly run up to Lake Temescal, around a fire trail and back down through the neighborhoods.  I was definitely not in top shape for the initial incline, which isn't terribly steep, but does climb for about 1.5-2 miles.  My splits for the first 3 miles were way slower than I intended, in fact, during the second mile I was almost ready to turn around.  I'm glad I stuck with it because the next 2 miles or so was flat and then I was descending the rest of the way back home.
Planned: 6 miles
Actual 6.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment